Visit The University of Texas homepage
Visit the Tarlton Law Library homepage
UT School of Law - Law School Buildings

Old Law Building (Pearce Hall)

The Old Law Building was constructed at the intersection of 21st and Speedway and was the third oldest building on campus. Old Law School BuildingConstruction began December 4, 1906 and the completed building was dedicated November 25, 1908. The building was constructed with light colored brick and roofed with Spanish tile. The trim was Texas limestone, with gray granite steps. The building was approximately 10,000 square feet, originally designed with nine classrooms (only three were built), a large assembly room, a library and eight offices. By 1941, the Law School had outgrown the building and in 1947 the building was remodeled to provide additional classroom space and more offices. A new, larger building was proposed as early as the late 1940s.

After the construction of Townes Hall, the building was re-named Pearce Hall after the late James E. Pearce, the University’s first Professor of Anthropology. The building continued to be used as a classroom building until it was razed in 1974 to make room for the Graduate School of Business Building.

Additional Views:

Old Law, c. 1920 Old Law, c. 1950 Old Law, c. 1930 Old Law, c. 1940
< previous | next >